Newport, a market-town, the head of a poor-law union, petty sessional division and county court district, and a parish in Salop. The town stands on the river Strine, the Shrewsbury Canal, near Watling Street, and adjacent to the boundary with Staffordshire, 8 miles NE of Wellington, 11½ W by S of Stafford, and 17½ ENE of Shrewsbury. It received a charter from Henry I. and various privileges under different kings till Edward VI., and was governed by a high steward, two bailiffs, and twenty-five burgesses till 1883, when the corporation was abolished. It is now governed by an urban district council. It gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Bradford; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts; publishes a weekly newspaper; and has a head post office, designated Newport, a station on The L. & N.W.R., and two banks. The town-hall, built in 1860, is used for the meetings of the local board and for petty sessions and county courts; it includes two assembly-rooms. The market is at the back of the town-hall. There is an ancient market-cross in the High Street. The Newport Institution, opened in 1883, contains reading-rooms, &c., and library. The church is partly of the loth century, with Renaissance additions, and has been almost entirely rebuilt. It belonged to Shrewsbury Abbey, and was made collegiate in 1441. There are Roman Catholic, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels. The grammar school was founded in 1656 by William Adams, a native; has four exhibitions at the two universities, and four others at Christchurch College, Oxford. There are almshouses for two single men and women founded by William Adams, and alms-houses for four women founded in 1446 by William Glover, and rebuilt in 1836. A large tract of land, called Newport Marsh, Is vested in the Newport Town and Marsh Trustees, and produces about £500 yearly, which is applied to repairing the roads and other purposes. The workhouse was built in 1855. A market for corn and provision is held every Friday, and a market for live stock every Monday. Machine-making, agricultural implement making, and turnery work are carried on, and considerable trade is done in connection with the neighbouring collieries, iron mines, and limestone quarries. The poet Tom Browne, who died in 1704, was a native.
The parish comprises 566 acres; population, 2675. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £251 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield.
Newport Parliamentary Division of Northern Shropshire was formed under the Redistribution of Seats Act of 1885, and returns one member to the House of Commons. Population, 53,035. The division includes the following:-Albrighton (except the parish of Fitz)-Albrighton, Astley, Battlefield, Broughton, Clive, Grinshill, Hadnal, Haughmond Demesne, Preston Gubbalds, St Alkmond, St Mary, Shawbury Park (Acton Reynald), Uffington; Bradford (Newport-part of)-Bolas Magna, Cherrington, Chetwynd Aston, Chetwynd, Church Aston, Edgmond, Kinnersley, Longford, Newport, Sheriffhales, Tibberton, Woodcote; Bradford (Drayton)-Adderley, Cheswardine, Childs Ercall, Drayton-in-Hales (the Shropshire portion of the parish), Hinstock, Hodnet, Moreton Say, Norton-in-Hales, Stoke-upon-Tern, Woore (the Shropshire portion of the parish of Mucklestone); Bradford Wellington (part of)-Atcham, Ercall Magna, Longdon-upon-Tern, Eodington, Upton Magna, Waters Upton, With-ington; Bradford (Wem)-Lee Brockhurst, Loppington Moreton Corbet, Shawbury, Stanton-upon-Hine Heath, Worn Weston and Wixhill; Bradford (Whitchurch)-Ightfield Frees, Whitchurch; Brimstee (Shifnal)-Albrighton, Badger Beckbury, Bonninghall, Boscobel, Donnington, Kemberton Ryton, Shifnal, Stockton, Sutton Maddock, Tong; Pimhill (part of)-Middle; Shrewsbury, municipal borough.